Is your 24-Hour Routine Enough?

How do you usually start your day?

Mine, I want to prepare my coffee first. Honestly, I can't drink it immediately because I still need to set everything for my eldest as she wakes early for school. But the aroma alone can energize me, enough to finish cooking her breakfast. So by having a cup, I feel that I am Super Mudra from 4 to 8 AM.

Modern multi-tasking housewife with multiple hands

But that's just the start. I still have other things to do for the whole day. Usually, I think about the chores the night before so I can set my mind (and body) for all the things I need to accomplish. Unfortunately, most of these are left undone and I can only complete at least half of what I'm supposed to do (Hello FB!). This went on and on until I slapped myself (figuratively speaking of course!) to make things different. So what I did is I tried to become more organized. Rather than just thinking of what I need to finish for this day, I scheduled everything instead.

Here's what I did. An example of my schedule for the day.
* Prepare coffee

* Cook breakfast and baon for lunch

* Prepare clothes, Iron uniform

* Prepare breakfast and my youngest for school

* Accompany her to school, go back home immediately

* Clean the house, cook for lunch

* Pick youngest from school, eat lunch at home

* REST (for her, definitely not for me)

* Check other chores (feed birds, water the plants, etc.)

* Wait for the eldest to arrive

* Cook dinner

* Homework

* Wash plates

* Sleep

From the looks of it, seems like I can go on a whole day completing all the tasks right? WRONG! Have you checked what's missing? The only time that I get to insert BATH TIME is when the kids are already sleeping. I also don't have the LAUNDRY and IRONING (the rest of our clothes) listed as well. WRITING FOR CLIENTS should also made the list but unfortunately I can only do this if my youngest is having a long nap time. There's also no time to READ which I think is very important even for stay-at-home moms like us.

Now to answer my question, I think 24 hours isn't enough for mothers, whether you're in a corporate world or not. Just because we are at home doesn't mean that we have nothing important to do. Though it's not that hard to get these mommy bilbils, we are no couch potatoes and we don't just sleep (or check Facebook) the whole time. A mother's job is round-the-clock.

So the next time somebody tells you "Ang swerte mo naman nasa bahay ka lang" start telling them what you do the whole day, one by one. I'm already getting used to this but sometimes I still find it irritating that others (they are also SAHMs themselves) think that you're just there waiting for some grace to knock on your door. Some of the funny replies from my fellow moms include: "gusto mo isampal ko sa yo ang listahan ng lahat ng ginagawa ko?"  (ang hard!) or the "naku teh, kung ikaw nasa bahay ewan ko na lang kung masabi mo pa yan".

Ever had this kind of experience where even your relatives think that you're just waiting there for time to pass (at sweldo ni husband)? What was your reply? And suggestions are definitely welcome for those who are more "organized" than me!

xoxo

BA Isla
July 5, 2015 at 6:29 AM delete

I completely agree. Sometimes, I just don't check the time... We just need to manage ourselves to do as much as we could! :)

Maan
July 5, 2015 at 8:08 AM delete

Haha I agree! Although I have the best (and worst) from both worlds because I also work from home full-time. Minsan the toughest critics are also other mums!

Ghel
July 5, 2015 at 4:19 PM delete

true sis. sometimes it just gets hard because of the distractions lol

Ghel
July 5, 2015 at 4:20 PM delete

i agree! we have different ways how to manage our homes and our families so the opinion really varies. but whatever floats your boat right? :)

July 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM delete

True! Many people think that because I'm a SAHM since my son was born, madali lang. Not really. I got my hands super full. Breastfeeding pa lang ubos oras na. haha! :)

Ghel
July 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM delete

and when we hold the babies, wala na talaga tayong nagagawa :D

July 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM delete

I am a working mom and my 24 hours is not enough talaga and even if you are stay at home mom mas madami talaga ginagawa, every weekend na feel ko yan. kaya pag sinasabi nila if you are plain house wife or SAHM eh wala ka ginagawa kung alam lang nila. But if you see your kids smiling and happy everything is worth it

Ghel
July 5, 2015 at 8:53 PM delete

ay totoo sis. I get that a lot. i also feel for my working moms who are trying their best naman every weekends to catch up with the kids, yet you would hear others say "eh ndi naman nanay yan, wala naman ginagawa para sa anak." usually older moms/titas ung nariringgan ko ng ganyan. sad lang.

Jackie Park
July 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM delete

So true! It drives me.crazy how some people assume that life is easier at home! Especially my hubby! But I'm enjoying naman because I get to raise my kids the way I want to :)

Lique Dimayuga
July 6, 2015 at 1:56 AM delete

Haha! “Ang swerte mo naman nasa bahay ka lang” ... gusto mo exchange places tayo? definitely a mom's day is not enough, sometimes my today to-do list moves up until the weekend pa, kasi kulang ang araw. My mom is a SAHM too and super naappreciate ko yung pagiging housewife nya saming magkakapatid especially now that I am in the same shoes. High five mommy! You're doing an awesome job :)

July 6, 2015 at 4:21 PM delete

There are times when I'd wish for the clock to just stop ticking! 24 hrs is definitely not enough!

July 7, 2015 at 3:44 PM delete

Naku i feel you. I dont have a single helper around the house. It is my choice. Just last night I felt so tired and all the muscles in my body is aching. But it was kinda fulfilling too bec I get to spend the day with my little girl. Pero totoo yan pag sinabing swerte ka at nasa bahay ka lang baka magulpi ko nagsabi nun haha

xoxo
MrsMartinez

July 7, 2015 at 3:54 PM delete

true sis. same here. siguro nasanay tayo that we're hands-on kaya it's different when we think about having somebody to take care of the kids except us. :D being a SAHM or WAHM is stressful enough, ayoko na ng additional stress kapag may helper pa :D :D (but of course, it's just me)

Rose Angelie
July 7, 2015 at 4:44 PM delete

My 24-hour is never enough din! In fact, today I got up at 4am to finish some extra things online as I can't keep up with everything with the kids. And true, being a stay at home is hard. I honestly think not everyone can survive it! Especially when you have younger kids.

July 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM delete

true. some moms even told me that they prefer sa office instead sa house.

July 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM delete

indeed. kung pwede lang more than 24 hours ang alloted time for moms para meron pa tayong "me time" :D

July 7, 2015 at 6:30 PM delete

wala kaya tayong day off hehehe

July 7, 2015 at 6:31 PM delete

knowing and being there with their every milestone is also something that makes our at-home life worth it :)

Peachy Adarne
July 8, 2015 at 4:11 PM delete

I think everyone's day begin with the magic brew! Ako feeling ko kulang ang 24 hours sa akin in one day!

Balot
July 12, 2015 at 11:34 PM delete

I'm a working mom and my 24hrs is not enough for me kaya I still feel inggit sa mga SAHMs. I envy moms who receive all hugs from kids after school and all the other petty things you spent with your kids, sarap kaya non! :) once in a while, forget the chores, it will never be completed...hahaha!

Anna Plaida
October 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM delete

24 hours is not enough for a mom talaga even you are stay at home or working mom kulang talaga ang oras. It's up to us how to manage our time and deal with our situation