Top 6 Reasons Why It's Great to be a Pinay Mudra

With all the rants and bad news we read about our dear country everyday, sometimes I feel so scared for my kids and ask myself "anyare na sa Pinas?". But then again, when I see how other people are very satisfied with their lifestyle here despite the heat, corruption, and the yearn for improvement, it makes me realize that Pinoy mudras are indeed lucky. We are blessed for different reasons which I enumerated in this blog post.

pinoy mom
This blogpost was inspired by Christine a.k.a Happy Slip

1. We instill old school values to our children - many of us still believe that faith in God, respect to our elders, love, and making our family as our priority are some of the values that our children must learn. We spoil them yet we know how to discipline when it's needed. I'm proud that even though my kids are English-speaking (I swear I talk to them in our native language!) they still use PO  and OPO when they talk in Filipino.

2. We can ask the grandparents to take care of the kids - for FREE! - for the corporate mudras, they can ask their parents or their husband's parents to look after their kids while they go to work. And because of the culture that we have here in Philippines, most of the parents-in-law are more than willing to cook, bathe, and feed our kids even without paying them. You just have to treat them to Jollibee (ang kunat?) from time to time to show how much you appreciate what they do for your family, especially to your children.

3. And when you need a nanny/yaya you don't have to spend so much! - one of my fellow Pinay mudras who is currently living overseas told us that it's so hard to be a working mom and leave her toddler to a nanny. Despite the technology that would keep track and record what the nanny is up to, at least half of her salary just goes to the latter's salary. In the end, her husband told her to stay at home so they can save. She followed and didn't had any regrets but she definitely missed the convenience of having a yaya back here in Pinas.

4. We can scare/threat our kids without worrying about 911! - I am not an advocate of corporal punishment but children nowadays are harder to control. I do however, use my ever-reliable tsinelas  and even without a word they would behave to avoid being hit on the butt (I used to tell them "ang makulit may palo sa pwet!"). I have a distant relative in US and one time he slapped his teenager after knowing that he was using Mary Jane. The brat called the 911 instead and told how his father became very violent to him even it's just one slap!

5. We can have a support group anytime! - admit it, sometimes being a mother can get the best of us, whether you stay at home or you work in an office. Knowing that we have fellow mothers who can best understand our situation is a great relief and also a stress-reliever as well. In other countries, you usually have to set an appointment weeks or even months before you can have a little chit-chat with your friends. Here in Pinas, just go out of the gate and they will come to you!

6. Pinas mudras don't freak out easily - we know what to do when babies vomit, when they choke, when they get a booboo, when they have allergies. We don't have to call the pediatrician in the middle of the night and can cure our children's cough and colds even without over-the-counter medicine. Pinoy mudras are already Pinterest-worthy even before Pinterest was launched.

I know these aren't just the reasons why we should feel so blessed for being a Pinoy mudra. Can you add more to the list? Maybe we can have a part 2 for this and let the world know how we run the house, whether you're a Pinay mudra here or overseas.

xoxo

Ayi
July 5, 2015 at 11:46 PM delete

I agree with everything you said :) Our close family ties really helped us a lot in raising kids :)

Jackie Park
July 6, 2015 at 2:16 AM delete

We teach our kids to be more aware and careful early on. While others may panic when their child falls and gets a bruise Pinay Mudras will go, "ayan sigee buti nga likot mo kasi e. Wag na malikot okay?" :p

July 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM delete

All of what you mentioned above are true. Despite the many limitations, it still is great to be a mother in our country.

July 7, 2015 at 6:12 AM delete

Love it! I've always been proud of being a Filipino, but I truly appreciated this country when I became a mum. In the Philippines, it's so easy to find a "village" that helps you raise your child!

July 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM delete

I agree exagg yun 911 and I feel our kids here are more respectful.

Janice Lim
July 7, 2015 at 9:39 PM delete

In many ways, we really have it made as Pinay moms. We just have to remind ourselves of that occasionally which is exactly what you did. :)

July 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM delete

indeed. though it really has its pros and cons too, right? :)

July 8, 2015 at 4:08 PM delete

yep! atlis nadadala sila :D :D

July 8, 2015 at 4:10 PM delete

our values are very different from other countries, which really helps in developing our children :)

July 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM delete

i agree :) everybody in the family tries to help

July 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM delete

true. we have different values and highly respectful of elders. :)

July 8, 2015 at 4:14 PM delete

thank you ms. janice. sometimes we need to forget these things and a little reminder would help :)

Nicole Paler
July 9, 2015 at 2:45 AM delete

Totally agree with what you've written here! I think that the 911 thing happening outside the county is what helps kids turn into more brats cause they'll realize that their parents can't do anything of consequence to them.. but here we can still discipline them by showing the consequences of their tantrums and talking to them afterwards about what they did wrong.. :)

Rose Angelie
July 9, 2015 at 6:14 AM delete

I love all the things listed here! Relate much ako dito mommy! Especially the FREE babysitting sa grandparents. Hehe

July 9, 2015 at 6:17 AM delete

that's the power of being moms. we get to mold our kids and tell them the do's and dont's. buti na lang ganito sa Pinas or else we have to deal with not-so-nice children din hehe

July 9, 2015 at 6:18 AM delete

and we can always take advantage of that to have our date night with hubby. hehehehe

July 10, 2015 at 10:33 AM delete

This is a great list! And yes, despite being worried for my kids's future in our country, its still home, and everything you mentioned is why we pinoy moms are still very resilient :)

July 13, 2015 at 6:41 AM delete

I agree! Although finding Yayas to take care of our children is difficult. We're lucky to find two that are trusted and we don't have to pay that much unlike in other countries.

July 19, 2015 at 5:07 PM delete

Agree with 911, minsan exagg ang kids noh, wawa naman si mommy if di naman totoo yung sinumbong.

August 13, 2015 at 4:18 AM delete

Love this! There's really something in the bright side, it's just a matter of changing your perspective :)