That Thing Called HFMD

I gave my children nutritious food all the time, on top of the vitamins that they take daily. As a mother, I am very much aware that we need to give them the best in order to have stronger bodies and immune system.

But unfortunately, there are viruses that can affect even the toughest kids. My 4-year old recently had HFMD or Hand Foot and Mouth Disease which she got from my nephew. Prior to this, I was complacent that my kids will only have cough, colds, and slight fever which is usual especially with the erratic weather we have nowadays. I thought that their immune system was good enough to combat most of the viruses common to kids today.

FYI

So what is HFMD and what are the symptoms? According to webmd.com
Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is an illness that causes sores in or on the mouth and on the hands, feet, and sometimes the buttocks and legs. The sores may be painful. The illness usually doesn't last more than a week or so.
Symptoms include fever (which she didn't had, thank goodness), blisters which can spread fast all over the body particularly on hands and feet, and mouth sores.

This is caused by the enterovirus and often mistaken as a rash or allergy. It was really hard to see feel the itch and even said that the bumps were painful. Since it is viral and can be passed on from one kid to another, we decided not to take her to school for a week. Of course, I don't want her classmates to experience this as well.

First day of blisters :(

We were given topical medications including oatmeal powder, hydrocortisone cream, and oral medicines to relieve her from itching. It was a good thing that despite her mouth sores, she was still able to eat. My doctor friend said that other kids were even rushed to the hospital because of dehydration and weakening body because they can't eat while suffering from HFMD.

She still have a couple of marks from her nape to her feet but thank God she was relieved from the painful itch 4 days since it started. I was also thankful that no one else in the family suffered the same ordeal.

Socks on her hands to prevent her from scratching

The lesson here for me? Even if you are very familiar with the place, even your guests are part of the family, or even if you are secured that you are giving the best to your kids DON'T BE COMPLACENT. Germs are everywhere and don't let other people's comments get in the way of taking care of your children. Often times we hear "ang arte ah! mashadong OC. alcohol ng alcohol" and things like that. But it's not them who's going to worry, get sleepless nights, and feel sick. Let your right amount of OC-ness prevail so you can protect your kids and letting them enjoy at the same time.

Have you ever encountered this with your kids or any member of your family?

Elizabeth O.
October 2, 2015 at 7:22 PM delete

I'm sorry she had to experience that, at least she's getting better now. Don't be too hard on yourself, you're doing your best to help her recover.

teamsoldao
October 3, 2015 at 4:36 AM delete

I have encountered this before with my daughter, nahawa lang din. I only fed her nutritious foods and lots of rest. Thank God, mabilis naka-recover. In God's perfect time, she'll be healed.

Mommy Donna
October 6, 2015 at 9:56 PM delete

Aww.. no I have not. And I hope she's doing alright now.

October 7, 2015 at 6:47 AM delete

Sad seeing your kid suffer! I'm really into hand sanitizing to prevent getting sick. Its hard for us, Mom, to see our kids suffer. Virtual hug!:)
www.sweetcuisinera.com

Shelly
October 8, 2015 at 8:14 PM delete

Sorry to know about your daughter. Sometimes as moms, we wish that the illness would just transfer to us instead of our kids because it's so painful for us to see them suffer.

October 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM delete

I have seen many HFMD cases on children recently. It's viral so it can spread easily. Even how much we tried to shield our children, we really can't make them 100% protected from sickness. I feel really guilty whenever my son get sick but thank God kids are kids and their spirit is really high. They get better quickly. Get well soon pretty girl :)

Mommy Charm
October 9, 2015 at 8:11 AM delete

I'm sorry to hear that your kid's been sick. Well, I have not encountered FMD with my son, thank Heavens. But I agree that killing those germs with alcohol every now and then is a must, although to others it's a bit OA.

October 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM delete

she felt better after a week of staying at home. :) thank you Elizabeth.

October 11, 2015 at 5:23 PM delete

i feel so relieved that even if she got sores on her mouth, she was still able to eat. thank goodness.

October 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM delete

indeed. i was having a hard time thinking how to relieve her from the itch and pain. good thing it only lasted for 4 days.

October 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM delete

true story. it's so different for moms when kids are sick.

October 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM delete

me too. if there's only a way to guard them against things like this.

October 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM delete

i let them enjoy the outside world, germs included. lol. but there are times that we really have to sanitize to prevent things like this from happening.