Korean Visa Approved!

Thanks to the airfare promos, we scored a ticket to South Korea for only Php 6k+ per person (roundtrip) a couple of months ago via Air Asia. Well, that's the easy part. I was actually hesitant to go with my family to S.Korea mainly because I'm a freelancer. And you know how it is with the embassy. I was told that there were hundreds who got their applications denied because of the lack of documents.

Last September, my mother insisted that we take the documents to Airlite Int'l Travel and Tours -a travel agency in Mall of Asia. She also asked the same agency to process her Korean visa as well, a year ago. Fortunately she passed. They only requested Php 2,000 for each applicant and they will do the rest. Too bad, after 3 weeks of waiting and asking for more documents than what was stated at the Korean Embassy website , they still kept on insisting that they require more (more pa din?) from us because the embassy needs more "proof of income" and even diploma. That's when I started to get pissed off because they kept on stalling and our booked flight is just few weeks away. More so, I'm getting concerned about our privacy because they already have so much at hand. That's when I told my mother to pull all our documents from the said agency. They claim that the embassy requires as much information or else it wouldn't be accepted. Should we get a visa, using the same documents, they agreed that they will give a full refund which is worth Php6,000.

Some of the visa requirements

So last October 7, my dad went to the Korean Embassy himself and passed the applications in my and my daughters' behalf. As a freelancer, here are the only documents I gave, along with our passports. By the way, you can see the list of requirements and download the NEW Korean visa application form here.

• Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificate
  • Proof of earnings from Upwork
  • Letter from my client that states I work for her as a freelancer. She included her complete address in Singapore and her phone number as well. Dear client knows that the embassy might call her anytime.
  • Photocopy of my daughters' ID and proof of enrollment from their school.
  • Bank statement and bank certificate
Here's the thing, We included my dad's name at the application form (Funding Details part). He also gave his documents to show that he is financially capable to support our travel. There were only a couple of questions but all the documents that we gave the agency are the same documents we gave at the Korean Embassy.

Don't forget this stub when claiming your passport at the embassy

Come October 15, it only took us less than 20 minutes before we got our passports. I'm so happy and thankful that we have our visas though it was only for a single entry. Now I'm starting to get excited since our scheduled flight is already fast approaching.
Approved visa for the kids and the mudra!

So for all you freelancers out there, may pag-asa pa! Now I'm just waiting for the agency to refund my money so we can spend it for the airport tax which is also approximately Php 6k for the three of us.

Have you tried applying for a Korean visa? Share your stories, maybe I can get a thing or two next time we apply!

xoxo

theresa
October 17, 2015 at 7:21 AM delete

Happy Traveling sis. My friend invited me to go there but since I had my big day coming, I guess I need to postponed that for a year or so.

kareen liez
October 18, 2015 at 6:33 AM delete

Congrats for your Visa approval. Enjoy your trip!

October 18, 2015 at 7:18 PM delete

South Korea is in my bucket list but I'm quite hesitant because of the visa processing. What if denied, sayang ticket. Akala ko free ang SK visa, laki ng bayad sa agency. Enjoy your SK trip.

October 18, 2015 at 7:49 PM delete

Michi, malaki lang yung processing fee ng agency but kung approved worth it naman lalo na if hassle sa yo magpunta sa embassy ng ilang beses. sometimes they would ask you to go back if kulang ng documents. as for the ticket, actually they don't need the ticket when getting a visa. even the hotel reservation hindi din inask from us. :) try it!

Allan D
October 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM delete

Congrats for the approval of your visa.

Some said it still better to do the job by yourself since most of the requirements are already listed in some websites. Although you really need lots of patience from travelling and waiting for long lines.
Just line applying for passports, some travel company will ask the payment and will tell you that they will be the one to process it. They will just inform you when is your appearance date to the DFA but in fact, all these scheduling can be done on the net already.

Enjoy your vacation in Korea.!

Elizabeth O.
October 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM delete

Congratulations! And be safe. That was a bad experience, but luckily things turned around for you and your family. Enjoy Korea!

October 19, 2015 at 4:04 PM delete

Wow! Korea! Have fun! God bless your trip! :)

October 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM delete

enjoy preparing for the big day sis :)

October 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM delete

true. i just agreed to go through the agency at first because i really don't have the time to head there at the embassy myself.

October 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM delete

yes Ms. O. i'm now excited to pack for my kids :)

October 19, 2015 at 4:46 PM delete

surely we will :) thanks Nilyn

Anna Plaida
October 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM delete

Actually if you apply visa on your own no payment required and its a hassle free just have an appointment thru online. and if you are a bpi card holder no documents required you can get your visa and no payment also

October 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM delete

true. :) super inconvenient lang for me that time since may pasok mga kids. as for the BPI card, does it still apply to date? last i checked, BDO naman yung nag ooffer ng ganyan :)

October 22, 2015 at 9:13 AM delete

Congrats on your visa and have fun at Korea Sis:)
www.wish4less.com

October 23, 2015 at 12:35 AM delete

Have a safe trip with your family and enjoy Korea. Still dreaming of travelling with my family. But I really can't leave my mom right now. If only she can still travel :(

theresa
October 23, 2015 at 6:22 AM delete

Thanks sis. and enjoy traveling there. Since I'm a KPOP fan, I will be surely travelling in every KPOP destination there but I suggest visit Myeongdong. Super affordable ng mga bilihin!

Mark Villar
October 25, 2015 at 2:29 AM delete

Congrats! I would love to visit Korea since I heard a lot of good things from my friends. Goodluck !

November 3, 2015 at 3:41 AM delete

we did sis. even if it's late nakakababa ako to look for food and buy lots of noodles na inuwi ko as pasalubong. we stayed at the Pacific Hotel and it was in a good location in Myeongdong :)

November 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM delete

we did. the kids enjoyed the weather so much.

November 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM delete

create memories sis. no need to travel as long as you get to spend quality time with your family :)

November 3, 2015 at 3:43 AM delete

you should. it was really incredible! wifi everywhere lol

Levy
November 17, 2015 at 4:26 AM delete

my husband and I are both freelancers. He works at Upwork too. This is a great article. Thanks for the tips. I wish we could visit South Korea soon too.

December 21, 2015 at 6:17 AM delete

Some of ny officemates went to Korea last month and according to them they asked an agency to process their paper for only P1500. And they did able to travel and explore Korea. Soon when I already have the budget I'll definitely visit Korea with my family.

Carlo
October 8, 2016 at 12:04 AM delete

Hi! Did you have your client mail a printed letter from Singapore to you or was it sent digitally? (email). Thanks!

October 20, 2016 at 7:41 PM delete

Hi Carlo! My client just sent it via e-mail with all her details such as letter head, number, address, etc.