Not a Bookworm, Just a Reader

Before hubby decided to buy an iPad for the kids, there were the cheap android tabs. From then on, kids and even adults here at our home became engaged with all the games and other fun-filled activities offered by this small piece of tech. And then we were able to save up to get an iPad. It was definitely more durable, more things to do, and more games to play. I was even trying to take advantage of it when the kids were at school because during that time, I honestly want to have my own too (inggiterang nanay!)

But those days are over. Though it can really be a big help to make the kids quiet while I do some of the chores, I feel like I'm taking away a big part of their childhood by giving them the freedom to use the iPad during the weekend. We already have a couple of books around the house but those were more on fairy tales and the happily-ever-afters of Disney Princesses.

So I tried to ask my fellow moms if their kids are readers. Most of them, unfortunately, prefer to give their kids their phones or iPad too to keep them preoccupied. And there's this one blogger/baker that has been an inspiration to me. I've been following her posts especially regarding her kids and how she opt to teach them at home instead. I remember that her daughter used to read The Diary of a Wimpy Kid and so I bought one for my daughter as well hoping that she would like it. I'm glad she did and she's now asking if she can have the second book. I bought her Gulliver's Travel, a story that I'm sure were very much familiar with. I hope we can continue this together. I now prefer to splurge on these printed materials for my kids rather than buy them new toys that they would just break in a day or two.

no plastic cover yet :P

I'm not a bookworm but I love to read. I love to research, to know little trivia, and small details of just about anything. I hope my kids, despite the technology and touch-screen gadgets flourishing, they will still appreciate reading as much as I do or even more.

Does your kids prefer books over gadgets? I would appreciate if you can list down some of the books that can be enjoyed by my 8-year old :)

xoxo

theresa
October 11, 2015 at 1:38 AM delete

I used to be a bookworm but I cut it off. Or should I say gadgets invaded my life. Good thing you chose to give your child some books. I need to also do that to my child in the future too.

October 11, 2015 at 4:24 PM delete

Like you, we are not a bookworm but I love to read new books too. My son only use Ipad every weekends. No Ipad during weekdays kahit sembreak or summer vacation pa yan. :) I bought a book 365 bedtime stories so he reads it after dinner. I hope he will enjoy reading books soon.

October 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM delete

yes, those nasty little things can really be bad for them if used too much. :D

October 11, 2015 at 5:02 PM delete

during summer vacations, i'm lenient with their use of iPads. but i also make sure that we go out and explore as well, just like how it was during my childhood. :)

October 13, 2015 at 2:18 AM delete

I'm a bookworm but I also love my gadgets. I let my daughter watch videos for kids and use apps but I'm happy that she likes books, too.

Jhanis V.
October 13, 2015 at 5:11 AM delete

My son loves reading! On weekends, he stays up as late as 2am so he can read! he also collects magazines like K-Zone. He uses his dad's phone too but we limit his screen time so he has no choice. :D

October 13, 2015 at 5:13 AM delete

Right now, we're training Baby Charley to have zero gadget or screen time until she's too. Yes, we have given up TV,too! We're reading her lots of books! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

October 13, 2015 at 5:32 AM delete

I'm not a bookworm but I love reading books, I always encourage my toddler to be a book lover though sometimes di rin talaga maiwasan ang gadgets but I need to open my laptop para panoorin sya ng rhymes every time na kakain sya, hays!

giL
October 13, 2015 at 6:10 AM delete

I did not cut the use of iPad totally. It's okay for him to use it, but I consciously watch if he's using it too much. He'd rather play outside or do some activities that an ipad. As for reading, he has developed a love for reading and books. In National bookstore, there's a selection of reading books by age. =) I always go there to buy. If you want, start with books that have characters that are of interest to your kid. =)

October 13, 2015 at 3:28 PM delete

My son is just 1 year and 5 months, we have an old tab that I downloaded with songs and some kids app for him. I notice that he loves reading books so we both him quite a few books. I hope that I can always guide him with the tab, I certainly don't want any games on there as I wanted him to be more on physical games.

October 13, 2015 at 5:14 PM delete

My boys also like the Diaries of a Whimpy Kid. I take them to bookstores and let them choose their books with help from me ofcourse if it suits them or not.

October 13, 2015 at 5:39 PM delete

I encourage my kids to read all the time, for me it's better than being glued to the iPad :)

Anna Plaida
October 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM delete

I love to read books but when I become a mom my time is kulang pa for him. I used to give him ipad also but now we are starting to introduce to him books kasi he knows how to read na

October 13, 2015 at 7:38 PM delete

My daughter loves books! I read to her on a daily basis ; )

Xoxo
MrsMartinez

October 14, 2015 at 6:00 AM delete

Ayoko din lumaki lo ko sa gadgets kaya as much as possible ineexpose ko siya sa books at educational toys

October 17, 2015 at 3:59 AM delete

we need to balance their use of gadgets and books, right? :)

October 17, 2015 at 4:00 AM delete

yes we need to. it's great if we they can find entertainment with other things other than gadgets