5 Ways that Make my Mommy Life Easier

7:54 AM 36 Comments A+ a-

I got questions for ya'll mudras.

• Have you ever thought of family routines but ending up frustrated?
  • Have you ever felt that all your efforts doesn't seem to work?
  • And at the end of the day, you just feel too exhausted like the universe sucked the whole energy out of you?
You're not alone. I used to be the same. I've been trying to hard to put everything in order as soon as I wake up. But nothing seems to work. It was always a disaster once the kids wake up, not to mention 2 big dogs, and my husband whom I always consider as my "eldest".

So this vacation, I tried a different approach on how I should take in charge of this house. Fortunately, things worked out the way I wanted it and hopefully I can maintain it this coming school year.

Cleaning at Night

I can still vividly hear my mother's voice shouting "P.I. kayo! Aga aga ang kalat na naman ng bahay! And while she's ranting about our clutter, me and my brother would shout back, laughing "eh sino ba nanay namin? Mommy naman minumura mo na naman sarili mo eh!"

Only now, that I'm a mother myself, that I realized how much of a big deal it was for her to see the house all messed up early morning. So what I do now is to clean the house AT NIGHT. I found it more effective and fulfilling that I go to sleep knowing that the house will be all tidied up when I wake up. I make sure that no dishes are pilled up, floors are swept and mopped, tables already clean, and more. Of course, I do all these when everyone is already at their bedrooms. Though not yet sleeping, at least I can have the living room and kitchen all for myself, ready for some sweeping.

Schedule your Chores

Cleaning at night doesn't mean that I do the toilet cleaning at the same time. We have for bathrooms at the house and i'll go crazy if I would wash all of it on the same day. Every weekend, I try to schedule 2 toilets in one day. So Saturday and Sunday is when these parts of the house get some loving.

During the same day, I also do the laundry. What I do is to spray or shower the toilet and bathroom with the chemicals needed. While I wait for it to settle, I put the laundry and start the washing machine. It would take a couple of minutes before the water fills it up. By then, I would put the bleach and press the hold button so the clothes will be soaked at the bleach, water and soap for 20 mins. So I go back to the bathroom and start scrubbing the walls and everything else. Once I'm done with the toilet cleaning, it's now the laundry's turn to finish while I put my feet up and wait till it's time for me to hang it.

Plan the meals

With the help of my kids, we plan what we want to eat for the coming weeks before heading to the grocery to shop. Prior to this, I always check the pantry first and the freezer to know what's left of our supplies.

By listing the menu for the following days, we will know what are the ingredients we need to buy and list it down. I put a check beside the ingredients that are already available in our pantry. That way, we won't buy what's no longer necessary.

I also create a list of menu that I can cook. And by that I mean easy recipes and home comfort food that my kids usually requests. Writing it down and pinning at the fridge door allows my kids to choose what do they want to have for this day or the next.

Assign House Tasks to the Kids

Let's face it. Sometimes you would really want somebody to help you out. I'm not a big fan of having a house help since I stay at home most of the time. My work only requires me to face the laptop and write. However, while I'm capable of being a Domesticated Mudra, there are times that I don't feel like washing the dishes or cleaning up their rooms.

Since my daughters are old enough to listen and understand, I assigned them their house chores. This would also teach them about the routines and responsibilities at the same time. My Ate, who's turning 9 soon, already knows how to wash the dishes properly. She even cleans the sink after. My youngest, on the other hand, would only set the table, get the table mats, and push the chairs back after we eat. They would work together, however, when cleaning up the bed as soon as they wake up.

Give Yourself Time to Chill

If you're feeling drained or just too tired to move, then don't. Don't push yourself to do something that you don't want to execute wholeheartedly. Just DON'T (ok I'm being redundant here). Get some coffee, read a book, drink a beer, and eat chips.  Take this as your cheat day or something. The more you are well-rested, the easier it is for you to think what you should do next. The better you "charge" yourself, the more energy and enthusiasm you will give to the house and your family.

These are just some of the simple things that I do daily now that the kids are on vacation. I'm still planning to do the same routine this coming school year so hopefully it can blend well with our schedule. What about you moms? Let me know some tips that I can probably incorporate on my daily mudra life.

CHEERS TO US!

XOXO,

May 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM delete

Like you, I prefer not to hire helper at home so I really assign tasks to my son. Easy tasks like folding clothes, washing clothes (automatic so press the buttons lang) and helping me to hang the clothes. Kahit di ganun kaperfect ang gawa, ok lang basta matrain ko na tumutulong sa bahay. :)

Neri Ann
May 27, 2016 at 6:05 AM delete

Because the kids are still young, my partner and I should be a team. We assigned task to each other and before me going to work. We should really set schedules and have some help so we can do all the chores.

May 27, 2016 at 9:38 AM delete

I agree, we need to share household responsiblities with the kids. It is a good learning opportunity for them and a break for us moms. Btw, your daughter looks like she enjoys doing the dishes.

May 28, 2016 at 11:53 PM delete

Cleaning at night is such a brilliant idea! I think I'm also partly doing it without me realizing . I make sure the floor is swept and wiped with a wet rug before the day ends and that all the pots, pans and dishes are washed before heading off to bed. What I haven't really mastered is the art of chilling/relaxing when I really don't feel like doing anything. I'll work harder on that. Thanks for the tips!

May 29, 2016 at 2:24 AM delete

Brilliant idea to clean the house at night! That way, walang little kids na umaaligid-aligid and you wake up to a clean home.

May 29, 2016 at 7:52 AM delete

I suck at these routines. I like that the kids have their share of house chores, I have schedules for my own kids, too. Helps them to be more responsible.

May 29, 2016 at 4:34 PM delete

Hahaha. I could very well relate. We used to share house with my mom. But she loves to making mura as well when she sees the house dirty (and dirty means seeing fingerprints on her dining table). So we decided to rent a house just near her place. Sharing the small house with five boys is no joke. One needs to be patient with them. Good thing though they are cooperative and helping. They help me with the cleaning and now that school is fast approaching, i will surely miss them helping me out.

May 29, 2016 at 4:37 PM delete

Those are awesome tips! I might have to try out that Cleaning at night thing..

May 29, 2016 at 8:22 PM delete

I can so relate with you at this time. My househelp is on vacation and I am just tired every day! Ha ha Natawa ako dun about cleaning for 4 bathrooms. We have 3 and I cleaned it all in one night. Grabeee bagsak ako pagkatapos. Ayaw nang gumalaw katawan ko!!! :D

Levy
May 30, 2016 at 7:34 AM delete

wow nice tips mommy. I can relate sa kwento mo, I will follow your advice nga. Thanks!

May 30, 2016 at 10:19 AM delete

Ugh! Just today I felt so burnt out with the kids' mess, their fighting. Apart from that, I was trying to finish a post, had to do grocery. I was a mess today, this summer actually. I need to find a system. I'll try to follow your steps. :)

May 30, 2016 at 5:32 PM delete

I am a working mom so when I get home and ang kalat I am very irritated. Good thing my son is masinop. Though sometimes when he's playing nakakalat lahat ng toys nya sa sahig. But nililigpit nya lahat. I agree with you, I need chill out nights too. Nice tips :)

Elizabeth O.
May 30, 2016 at 7:42 PM delete

I think we've all been through that stage. It's important to get the kids involved and to have a routine/schedule to follow.

Anna Plaida
May 31, 2016 at 6:30 PM delete

I have a five year old kid who is toys all over the house, when I got home from the office before we study I asked him fixed and I have to check if it is all complete. Same as you every night I clean our room. Hirap talaga may bata makalat :-)

Pehpot Pineda
May 31, 2016 at 10:02 PM delete

and don't pressure yourself too much :)

Assigning task to the kids is really helpful.

June 2, 2016 at 12:00 AM delete

it's for them din naman. they will be more responsible paglaki kapag sinanay ng parents to do some chores. tama ba tayo mommy michi? :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:04 AM delete

don't worry. i'm sure you can work it out too while the kids are growing up :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:04 AM delete

it's her favorite chore. she washes the dishes even without the need for me to say so. =)

June 2, 2016 at 12:08 AM delete

isn't great to wake up and see that the house is somewhat in order :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:11 AM delete

hindi lang kids. minsan yung hubby din pasaway. nagpapabalik balik kung kelan naglilinis hahaha!

June 2, 2016 at 12:11 AM delete

that's true :) hope you can also share your kid chores and schedules as well ^_^

June 2, 2016 at 12:12 AM delete

hahahaha! they're just so annoyed if the house isn't kept clean. so that's how i feel now that i'm a mom too lol

June 2, 2016 at 12:15 AM delete

hope it works for you as well =)

June 2, 2016 at 12:16 AM delete

hahaha! ndi keri ng katawang lupa ko ang magclean ng 4 bathrooms in one day. sobrang malolobatt ako nun :D :D

June 2, 2016 at 12:16 AM delete

thank you too for reading mommy Levy :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:19 AM delete

if it's starting to get to you, let it go mommy :) hinga ng malalim then face them again para mas may power/energy ka to do so :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:19 AM delete

good for you and good for him too! :) meron kang little helper :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:27 AM delete

i read that through those chores and routines, we're giving our kids a sense of security :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:28 AM delete

true sis. and even sometimes, the husband would be the one na makalat din haha! kaya i make sure that most of the things are in order before sleeping para masarap naman ang gising :)

June 2, 2016 at 12:32 AM delete

it is :) it makes everyone's house life easier :D

Nilyn_ECM
June 2, 2016 at 4:07 PM delete

I'm a WAHM and I have to admit it's really difficult to balance everything from work to household chores to food. I can't do it alone. I'm lucky I can have someone who can help me.

June 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM delete

I still remember my brother and I take turns for cleaning the house every weekends. I love using our "bunot" (coconut husk) to make our floor shiny. We also take turns washing the dishes, I during lunch time while my brother during dinner. How I wish I could teach my son these things for him to become responsible at the young age.

Mhaan <3 | Mommy Rockin' In Style Blog

Janice Lim
June 5, 2016 at 9:19 PM delete

Great tips! I've been a mom for almost 15 years now and I've learned that scheduling things in advance works but at the same time we also have to relax and learn to let go when they don't turn out the way we planned them. :)

Mark Villar
June 6, 2016 at 5:15 AM delete

Agree with all of this! I even let my niece try to help our chose only with our supervision.

Louisa
June 7, 2016 at 1:47 AM delete

I often feel drained from a long day of working and then having to face house chores and my kids' individual needs. I also find though that it helps (me at least because I hate waking up to a messy house) that I clean at night. I can't sleep without at least tidying up.

Christine V
June 8, 2016 at 5:06 PM delete

I'm really thankful whenever my kids help out in doing house chores. But it's more challenging nowadays to get kids to help because of many competing things (gadgets, TV) available to them. It takes discipline to get them to help more.